Risk Taking Mission
As the weather turns cooler and students are heading back to school, it seems fitting that September’s bread pan offering is for United Methodist Student Sunday. This is a world-wide offering, taken by United Methodist churches, that provides scholarships for United Methodist students in college and graduate school. Many churches will be taking the of-fering after Thanksgiving, but at FUMC, we will take it on September 10th, also the first day of Sunday School after a summer break.
First United Methodist of Holland has had several students receive these scholarships over the years, not only to help with college costs, but to finance part of their seminary education. This is an important way that our denomination can support students in their education, as well as provide a means to attend seminary for those who feel God’s call.
Education has always been very important to United Methodists, and so has the opportunity for all students to have access to education. Please pray about your participation in this special Sunday, and give as God calls you to this important ministry.
For more information, check out http://www.umcgiving.org/ministry-articles/united-methodist-student-day or contact the church office.
If you or someone you know is a student and would like to apply for a UMC scholarship, check out for more information. Applications are generally available in January for the next school year.
Church Vision Statement: To be a grace-filled community aflame with God’s love for the world.
Church Mission Statement: To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Values: Love, Compassion, Grace, Justice, Faithfulness
Outreach Committee Objectives:
- To provide or create opportunities for people to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
- To facilitate or initiate developing relationships that allow for sharing our Lord’s love and grace.
- To encourage spiritual growth in all that we do.
- To evaluate all activities in relation to our church vision.
- To involve more of the congregation in relationship development and spiritual growth.
- To develop programs and mission opportunities that encourage growth.
- To communicate all activities and opportunities to the congregation.
- To work for sustainable leadership in all projects.